Semantics and Pragmatics
MA/BS- Fall 2020
Total Marks: 10
Q) ‘We are attuned in everyday conversation not primarily to the sentences we utter to one another, but to the speech acts that those utterances are used to perform: requests, warnings, invitations, promises, apologies, predictions, and the like. Such acts are staples of communicative life, but only became a topic of sustained investigation, at least in the English-speaking world, in the middle of the twentieth century. Since that time “speech act theory” has become influential not only within philosophy, but also in linguistics, psychology, legal theory, artificial intelligence, literary theory, and feminist thought among other scholarly disciplines. Recognition of the significance of speech acts has illuminated the ability of language to do other things than describe reality’ (Mitchell, 2020).
How far do you agree with the above statement? Focus on the highlighted text to develop your arguments and opinions. Support your answer with relevant examples.
1. No plagiarism otherwise negative marking or a straight ZERO.
2. Word limit (500-750)
3. Times New Roman, 11
4. Marks will be awarded for engaging writing style , correct grammar, and good expression.
5. Submission date: 15th December 2020.
6. To be submitted in the same email thread.
7. You may work in pairs although it is not a compulsion
Copyright © 2021 | Truelancer.com